Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving GUEST POST by Karla from Casual Bedlam!

Hope everyone is having a good turkey day!  Today we have a guest post from my lovely friend Karla over at Casual Bedlam.  Go over to her blog after reading this post and check out the guest post I wrote for her!  I personally think my list is incredibly entertaining...BUT I'M A BIT BIASED.  So kick back, relax, rest your turkey-filled loins, and enjoy this post! 


Well hey there everyone, I’m Karla from Casual Bedlam

How’s everyone’s Turkey Day going?  I’m so excited to be doing my first guest post on Alex’s blog today!  This pretty lady has been my ultimate gal pal since we met in the 8th grade many moons ago.  Who would’ve guessed that six years later we would both find a love for this little niche blogging community sharing our vastly different (yet oh so similar) lives with all sorts of readers?!  So in honor of this holiday of gratitude, here’s some things in life I can’t help but be thankful for: 
1.  My family (obviously)

Here's a photo of us looking our best at my cousin's recent California wedding.  

So, these five people are the greatest influence on my life. It’s hard being away from them for school (okay, I know an hour and a half is not THAT far), but it makes the homecomings even sweeter.  As I’ve gotten older I love that we’ve all grown closer. To quote the great Caroline Manzo from Bravo’s The Real Housewives of New Jersey, “We are as thick as thieves and will protect each other till the end.”  ‘Nuff said. 
2.  My friends (again, totally obvious)

Whether they are old friends (like Alex) or new (like Alex’s sweet baby Indigo...yea, I’m friends with a 5 month old- so what?!), I am so honored to have such wonderful people in my life.  Thank you guys for always hearing out my woes and accepting me for all my strange quirks.  There is never a dull moment in my life because of these wonderful folks I get to surround myself with on a daily basis.  Thanks for bringing out the best in me <3 

3.  Apple products
Macbook, iPhone, Ipod: you name it, I’ve got it.  Steve Jobs has changed my life, you guys.  These little tools of technology are always within an arms reach.  I will admit without shame that I am a product of this e-generation.  So much so, I'm currently taking a Sociology class about social media and it's affect on our lives.  I can’t help it, I just love being “plugged” in.  I suppose that comes with being a Communications major..
4.  Lipstick

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, gives me a confidence boost like a nice colored lip! Even on the days I feel my worst, when I dab on a lovely shade of red I somehow start to feel my best.  
5.  Cake Batter Ice Cream/Cookie Dough/Desserts in general

Do I really even need to explain this one?  
6.  Beyonce
I’ve been on this huge female empowerment kick lately, and I’ve got to thank my number one girl Beyonce for it.  She’s beautiful, successful, and just simply inspiring.  EVERYONE LOVES BEYONCE, and if not they should.  Call me crazy, but I feel like we’d be best friends.  Other awesome inspiring female musicians to check out: Lykke Li, Zee Avi, Feist, Laura Marling.
7.  Rice
I’ve never had a type of rice I didn’t like.  For my 19th birthday this past year, my family got me a rice cooker.  That’s how far this love affair has gone.  And being the crazy busy collegiate I am, those little Uncle Ben’s 90 second Ready Rice have become my go-to dish.  SO TASTY.  
8.  Fall weather

Crisp air, changing leaves, warm colors, hot beverages, scarves.  We never get much of a fall here in Alabama, it just kind of skips to extremes here, but those days that we do I simply swoon over my surroundings.  Also, who doesn’t love boot weather?!
9.  TV


I’m sure you think I’m a shallow gal for putting TV on this list, but hold off on the judgement, okay?!  Television soothes my soul.  Comedies, dramadies, late night talk shows- you name it I watch it and then proceed analyze my life around it.  It’s just what I love to do.  Liz Lemon, Leslie Knope, Michael Bluth- these are my role models.  I pepper my life with all sorts of pop culture references.  ’m kind of like that one kid from Willy Wonka- you know, that one that shrinks to fit in a TV because he loves it so much?  Again, don’t judge me! 
10.  Smiles
My smile, your smile, his smile, her smile.  A simple expression as such keeps me going from day to day.  It's how you know everything will be alright.  It's the silver lining to any cloud that comes your way.  

So thank you sweet My Blog, Kip readers for checking out my little list of thanks.  I was fairly surprised at how difficult it was to come up with at first, but I think that’s just because I have SO MUCH to be thankful for.  In the midst of the chaos of writing papers, attending meetings, and late night study sessions it’s easy to forget about the little things in life that really mean so much.   Life has been too good to me, and I hope it’s treated you just as well!  Now get off of your computer and GO EAT!  We all know that’s what this day is really about, right? Just kidding! (kind of...)
-Karla 



3 comments:

  1. Karla, your family is beautiful! You have been blessed in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that boots/leaves picture <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Karla :) She has easily become of my best blogging friends. What a great list my dear. Love that you quoted Caroline Manzo...they are my favorite housewives! Hehe
    _____________________________________________
    On a sidenote, I'm loving your blog Alexandra! Your baby Indigo is the most precious little thing I've laid my eyes on. Definitely following you! :)

    ReplyDelete